Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Taste of Something Different

Today is usually the day I keep for book reviews, and as soon as I connect with an author or two that I've recently reviewed, I'm posting something new. After this week, book reviews will return to Thursday and my new feature - desserts will be posted on Tuesdays.

Over the last six years I've kept my posts to book reviews, writing and my reading interests. I had a suggestion from one of my fellow authors to branch out. Since I'm known around Fresno (and a few other places) for my cookies and desserts, I decided to post some favorites.  The recipes have come from a collection of clippings, recipe books, church socials, etc. I don't lay absolute claim to most of them so there's no attempt to infringe on any "secret" recipes. Most likely, they've all been published somewhere else.

So without further adieu, here's my recipe for Giant Gingersnap Cookies:

Giant Gingersnaps

2 cups flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp baking soda
¾ cup soft vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
¼ cup light molasses.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift flour with salt, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and baking soda.
In large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed, cream shortening until light and fluffy, gradually adding sugar. Blend in egg and molasses. Stir in flour mixture until well blended.
Shape dough into 1 ½ inch balls, roll in granulated sugar. Place 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten with fingers; sprinkle more sugar on top.

Bake 8 – 10 minutes.



2 comments:

Penelope Marzec said...

Looks good. My Dad loves ginger snaps. :^)

Victoria Pitts-Caine said...

thanks for stopping by Penelope - these are really easy.