Sunday, November 23, 2008

Book Signing Experiences

I wanted to share my experience at my first book signing. While I didn't have a sell out I made some fantastic connections and had some questions answered on things I was wondering about.

The sale was a local author's book sale put on my a writing group located in a small town about thirty miles up the interstate. I knew a handful of the authors from conferences and classes. We donated a small portion of each sale for the library that housed the event.

One of my unanswered questions was why "my town" (and the town of several of the visiting authors) was so seemingly unsupportive. I was relieved to find out that it wasn't just me and most of them hadn't had much response from our local bookstores, etc.

I received two more invitations to sales in smaller towns and was asked to speak in a book store in another town nearby. My table partner is entered in the Eppie's and she's also a judge - small world.

All in all - it was a great day. I guess what I'm trying to share here is that you need to take your promotions where you can find them even if that means a little traveling.

So, I've got to buy one of those little computer suitcases on wheels for my books & stuff, join my other fellow local authors on the road show and make the best of it all!

Have books, will travel . . .

Victoria

No comments: